What is a portable program ? : A portable program is a piece of software that you can carry around with you on a portable device and use on any other computer. It can be your email program, your browser, system recovery tools or even an operating system. The coolest part about it, is that all of your data and settings are always stored on a thumbdrive so when you unplug the device, none of your personal data is left behind.
This is the first of x posts on different portable software/tools.
- Nvu : Easy-to-use webpage editor. Simple alternative to Dreamweaver and Microsft Frontpage
- Server2Go : Apache webserver
- InstantRails : Contains Ruby, Rails, Apache, and MySQL, all preconfigured and ready to run.
- Putty : Telnet and SSH client
- Follow-Me IP : Displays your external IP address
- XAMPP : Integrated server package of Apache, mySQL, PHP and Perl. Just Unzip and Run
- HTTP File Server : Simple and easy-to-use file server for personal file sharing.
- CurrPorts : Lets you view a list of ports that are currently in use, along with applications that use them
- Quick’n Easy FTP Server : Portble FTP Server.